[tlhIngan Hol] using {ngan} as a suffix {ngan} as the suffix {-ngan}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:36:53 PST 2022

Thank you fergusq and lieven for replying.

fergusq:
> 'elaDya'ngan is same as 'elaDya' ngan, a noun-noun construction meaning "inhabitant of Greece"

Initially, I thought the same. But I started wondering whether there
was this subtle difference:

{'elaDya'ngan} = someone born, raised, and living in Greece
{'elaDya' ngan} = someone living in Greece but who has come from another country

lieven:
> Additionally, at qepHom 2019, Okrand said:
> "{-ngan} is generally translated as "people of", but it's more generally
> used to indicate a group of beings, not necessarily beings from a
> particular place. "

Seemingly/apparently this means that the opposite of what I believed
actually happens. {'elaDya'ngan} doesn't refer only to people born and
raised in Greece, but to any other inhabitant too. And this shows that
indeed there's no difference between {'elaDya'ngan} and {'elaDya'
ngan}, as fergusq previously wrote.

lieven:
> Note that Okrand wrote is using a hyphen. That does not mean it's a
> suffix per definition, but it shows that {ngan} is usually attached to
> the origin of people.

This is very important indeed. The fact that 'oqranD chose to write
{-ngan} instead of {ngan}, proves that we can freely attach it to any
country/location/etc.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/