[tlhIngan Hol] verb prefix when the object noun is topicalized by {-'e'} and precedes the adverb

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 05:48:51 PST 2022

charghwI':
> But that’s only one interpretation. It’s actually more confusing than that because
> you are merely stating that the Romulans are the topic, then you are telling some
> unspecified subject to attack some unspecified object. See the problem here?

Yes, I think I do.

Initially I thought that perhaps the correct option would be
{romuluSnganpu''e' DaH yIHIv}, because I interpreted it as "The
Romulans! Attack now!".

But then I noticed that in tkd it says "The adverbial may actually
follow the object noun (but still precede the verb) when the object
noun is topicalized by means of the noun suffix {-'e'}".

So I started to wonder, "since tkd says 'object noun' then we
obviously need to have a prefix on the verb which indicates the
existence of that object". Thus the confusion started.

Anyway, if I understand correctly, the correct option is
{romuluSnganpu''e' DaH tIHIv}. So I guess I'll just have to force
myself to grow accustomed to seeing the object separated from its'
verb by an adverb.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/