[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs acting on each other adverbs referring to each other

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jan 17 13:20:05 PST 2022

Agreed. The point here is that Okrand tells us how one adverbial functions in a sentence. He leaves us clueless as to how multiple adverbials would interact, or even if they don’t interact at all and merely both add their meaning to the main verb.

I’m not saying that’s how it works. It just seems to have never occurred to Maltz that anybody would want to put two adverbials in one sentence.

For that matter, it could be the case that an adverbial has a slot in the sentence’s grammar just like a suffix has a “Type” slot on a noun or verb. You can’t have two suffixes of the same type. Maybe we can’t have two adverbials.

Canon could prove otherwise, of course.

I’m grinning at the activity I’m sure I just sparked among those who keep up with canon and organize their search capabilities...

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)