[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jan 12 17:00:02 PST 2022

On 1/12/2022 7:03 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> We’d just as well start using hyphens. I mean, we call it a
> “noun-noun” construction. We don’t call it a “noun noun” construction.
> So why don’t we say {be’-Huch paq je} instead of {be’ Huch paq je}?

Read /The Lord of the Rings./ That's exactly what J.R.R. Tolkien does in
his style of English. Genitive nouns are hyphenated with a head noun
where we, in our modern American styles, do not do so. So the suggestion
is not an outrageous one. And Tolkien was not affecting some special
style of writing; that was how educated Englishmen wrote in the early
twentieth century.

Examples: /bogey-stories, tunnel-gate, tree-trunks, forest-roof,
tree-tops, wood-parsely, fire-weed, hill-top, island-shores,
willow-leaves./ And those are just those I happened to find in a few
pages from a spot chosen randomly.

> Meanwhile, I think it would be clearer to say {be’ Huch be’ paq je} than to say {be’ Huch paq je} if what you want is “The woman’s money and book”. I think it would be remarkably and dramatically more clear. Why? Because it is clearer whether it is written or spoken, and this writing system is supposed to be a representation of spoken Klingon. So, why not favor a version that would be as clear spoken as written? You can’t hear commas.

Of course you can. Commas nearly always correspond to pauses in speech.
But you can also include them to group words together. *be'... Huch paq
je*/the woman's money-and-book./