[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Wed Jan 12 03:08:37 PST 2022

Thank you again for your detailed answer, Iikka!

> If we assume that a comma should not be placed inside a noun-noun construct, {be', Huch, paq je} with two commas would be unambiguous. However, {be' Huch, paq je} would still be ambiguous. If woman has both money and the book, the comma must be between {Huch} and {paq}, as they are the two conjoined nouns. If we talk about the woman's money and the book, the conjoined nouns are {be' Huch} and {paq}, and the comma is still in the same location.

I understand your point, but (as a beginner) I was actually thinking on a different possibility:

*be' Huch paq je* - the woman's money and book
*be' Huch, paq je* - the woman's money and the book
*be', Huch paq je* - the woman and the money's book
*be', Huch, paq je* - the woman, the money and the book

Of course, in most cases context will clarify, but I would like to know if there is some kind of general consensus on how to use (human) punctuation, in order to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings.

Thank you!