[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Fri Jan 7 05:42:21 PST 2022

I would like to ask two more questions on these subjects:

De'vID:

> From {nIn Hoch} "all [of] the fuel" on p.155 of KGT, we know that {Hoch} following a noun means "all of X".

The meaning "all of X" is not restricted to uncountable nouns, right? So I could also say: *paq Hoch*, meaning *all of the book* or *the entire book / the whole of the book*.

Me:

> 2. I guess there is nothing wrong with *(noun noun je) + noun* as a noun-noun construction? Are there canonical examples?

If I understand it right, while the option *(noun noun je) + noun* can't be ambiguous, the opposite *noun + (noun noun je)* could have another interpretation depending on context:

*be' Huch paq je* - the woman's money and book [noun + (noun noun je)]
                    the woman's money and the book [(noun + noun) noun je]

Am I right? Maybe punctuation could help: *be' Huch, paq je* for the second interpretation?

I've also found this canonical example: *quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv* (*Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant*). The structure is: [noun + (noun noun je)] + noun. But theoretically, it could also be *at the interior of Quark's Bar and the Restaurant*: [(noun + noun) noun je] + noun. Is that correct?

Thank you!