[tlhIngan Hol] Introducing oneself in Klingon: Beginner's question

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 00:52:13 PST 2022

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 at 09:37, James Landau <savegraduation at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So let me get this straight . . . sentences with a would-be copula require
> a pronoun and -'e' in the subject . . . so *Jim Miller jIH* doesn't need
> an -'e' because *jIH* already is a pronoun, whereas *Kate Stewart 'oH
> pongwIj'e'* needs a subject pronoun *'oH* and an -'e' because "Kate
> Stewart", the subject, is a noun and not a pronoun?

Do you have The Klingon Dictionary? If so, see section 6.3. All pronouns
can be used as verbs in the sense of "I am", "you are", etc. If the subject
is a noun, then it follows the third-person pronoun and takes the suffix
{-'e'}.

Also, is the Beginner's Grammarian still a thing? I usually wait a day when
the subject says "beginner" for the BG to reply, but it seems no one is
currently doing that job. In the last little while, it seems that SuStel
and I have been answering beginners' questions.

Looking back over the archives, it seems that the post has been vacant
since February of 2017:
http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/2017-November/006554.html

SuStel has already been BG, but if it's possible to serve a second time
(and it seems there is a precedent in HoD trI'Qal), then I nominate him to
be BG (again, and retroactively as of 'arHa's stepping down), as he's been
answering beginners' questions (and grammar questions more generally) the
most often since the post has been vacant:
http://klingon.wiki/En/BeginnersGrammarian

--
De'vID