[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qaH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 28 12:22:33 PST 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, February 28, 2022

Klingon word: 	qaH
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	sir
Source: 	TKD

bach Do' qaH
A lucky shot sir...  (ST3)

yajchu' qaH
Understood clearly, sir. (ST3)

lu' qaH!
Yes, sir! (KGT)

(TKD 58):  Names may be used in direct address (that is, calling somebody by name) at the beginning or end of the sentence. Other words used in direct address (such as {qaH} sir, {joHwI'} my lord) are used similarly... {lu' qaH} "Yes, sir!"

(KGT 193):  Misprounouncing {qaH} as {qagh} has often led to particularly unfortunate results.

SEE ALSO:
-neS		your Honor (V8 suffix)
  - (TKD 43):  There is but one suffix in this category. It is used to express extreme politeness or deference. It is used only in addressing a superior, someone of higher rank in the Klingon social, political, or military hierarchy. It is never required.
       qaleghneS 		I am honored to see you.
       HIja'neS 		do me the honor of telling me.
This suffix is used rather infrequently by Klingons.

yI'  		speak in an honorable or respectful fashion (v)
  - {jIyI'} With respect. (Uhura, STID)

DochHa' 	be polite, civil, courteous (v)
naD 		commend, praise (v)
quvmoH 	honor (v)
SeQ 		be formal, ritualistic, ceremonial (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last