[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pe'vIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 24 07:28:11 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	pe'vIl
Part of speech: 	adv
Definition: 	forcefully, by force

pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
Curse well!
("Shoot curses forcefully!" [i.e. Good luck!]) (TKW)

QaplaH <pla'> pe'vIl  <or: Qapla' ghobe' laH'a'> (???)
We can take whole by force, what they propose to divide.  (ST6 subtitle)

pe'vIl bI'chu'
forcefully sweep away (idiom) [KGT 112] :
   romuluSnganpu' Dujmey DIQaw'pu'; pe'vIl DIbI'chu'pu'
   We destroyed the Romulans' ships all at once. (KGT)

pe'vIl roS
he/she uses his/her third toe forcefully [IDIOM}:
(HQ 10.2:11):  which conveys the idea that he or she is particularly agile or nimble or spry

Hay'chu' luneHqu' vaj pe'vIl joqqu' cha' tlhIngan tIqDu'
Both Klingon hearts beat, at their strongest, in lust for blood. (PB)

Suto’vo’qor botlhDaq pe'vIl joqchu'taH quvbogh 'ej valbogh tIqDu' tIQ
[translation unavailable]  (PB)

pe'vIl mupmeH betleH Qach
The Mighty Blow of the Bat'leth (PB; title)

pe'vIl Supaw'jaj!
(De'vID, 11/16/2014 < qepHom 2014):  a Klingon greeting apparently for welcoming a group to an event.

(KGT 78):  The drinking songs are always sung loudly (this would probably be described by using the term {pe'vIl}), seldom with instrumental accompaniment, and they tend to be rather lengthy ({nI'}) and, from a non-Klingon perspective, repetitive.

{pe'vIl} would probably work for the following as well:

(CK):  As you practice speaking, remember:  Speak Klingon boldly; do not be meek or hesitant. This could be interpreted as a sign of weakness, a less than admirable trait among Klingons.

PRIVATE PUN:
(taD, [date?]):  At Farpoint 1.5 weeks ago, Marc Okrand … said that he made the word what it is because of twins he knew, Pat & Phil, whose names he incorporated into this word.

SEE:
pe'vIlHa'  	[gently, softly, lightly, weakly]     (adv)

(Qov, 8/30/12 - at qep'a' 2012):   Asked if {jaSHa'} and {pe'vIlHa'} were okay, Marc said, "Why wouldn't they be?" implying that {-Ha'} on adverbs is generally accepted, if the meaning is obvious.

SEE ALSO:
tlhoy 		overly, excessively, too much       (adv)
loQ 		slightly, a little bit, briefly, short  (adv)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last