[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Sar

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 16 07:36:48 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	Sar
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	variety

(De'vID < MO, 1/16/2019):  By the way — note that the noun {Sar} means variety in the sense of "an interesting variety of tea," not "variety is the spice of life".

(De'vID < MO, 2/25/2018):  As you say, case, lower case, and upper case are not Klingon things, so there’s no traditional Klingon jargon for this. Maltz said to just use big and small:  {ngutlh tIn}, {ngutlh mach}.  For "ignore case", perhaps {ngutlh Sar buSHa’} "ignore written-character variety" or {potlhbe’ ngutlh Sar} "written-character variety isn’t important".

(De'vID < MO, 1/16/2019):  If "we" are the ones doing the hearing, the grammatical ambiguity remains — is {Sar} a noun or a verb? -- but there's even less potential meaning confusion:  {QIch wab Ho'DoS Sar DIQoy} "we hear varied pronunciations / we hear accents";  {QIch wab Ho'DoS Sar wIQoy} "we hear a varied pronunciation".  This could also mean "we hear an accent", but, as above, this would be unusual.  One would be more likely to hear something along the lines of {QIch wab Ho'DoS Sar Huj wIQoy} "we hear a strange accent".

SEE:
Sar  		be varied,  various (v)
Hol Sar 		dialect (n)
QIch wab Ho'DoS Sar 	pronunciation variety, accent (n)

SEE ALSO:
Segh 		race, type, sort, class (n)
ghantoH 	model, example, pattern (n)
DI’on 		characteristic, trait (n)
mut 		species (n)
buv 		classification (n)

ngang 		vary, be varying (v)
pIm 		be different (v)
Dop 		be opposite, antithetical, contradictory (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last