[tlhIngan Hol] clipped klingon formal or informal

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Feb 16 07:00:41 PST 2022

On 2/16/2022 9:34 AM, Iikka Hauhio wrote:
> De'vID:
>
>     {Sey} probably *can* be used in a sexual context where the English
>     "excited/exciting" might be used, but that's really just the
>     normal meaning of the word applied to that context, and I don't
>     see how it can be a source of confusion in general.
>

> In Finnish the word doesn't have any sexual connotations and there is
> a separate word that has only sexual connotations. I don't see how it
> can be "applied to sex".
>
> I was reading /nuq bop bom/ and it has several sexual scenes. How do I
> know if *Sey* refers to just general excitement or sexual excitement?
> I understand people want to talk about sexual things in Klingon, but
> I'd feel more comfortable when I know that a scene is supposed to have
> sexual tones and when it isn't. For example, when someone is excited
> when meeting someone, does that mean that they are happy because they
> meet them or because they have sexual feelings form them? I don't
> think it should be ambiguous.

Context.

Situation 1: I meet a friend I haven't seen in years. To say that I am
excited means I am experiencing heightened emotions of happiness or
nostalgia upon seeing them.

Situation 2: I hear some really good news about an upcoming event. To
say that I am excited means I am experiencing heightened anticipation
regarding the event.

Situation 3: I see a strange woman whom I find attractive. To say that I
am excited means I am experiencing heightened feelings of romance and/or
sexual desire.

(Sorry, this next one is graphic.)

Situation 4: I am in bed with the woman, and she looks down at my penis
and says that I'm excited. It has the same literal meaning as Situation
3, but in this case it is a euphemism meaning that my penis is erect.

(Again, sorry, but it illustrates the power of context.)

Situation N: There are any number of other situations where the word
/excited/ refers to heightened emotions or electric charge or quantum
energy states. We understand which meaning is intended because of context.