[tlhIngan Hol] vabDot referring to the {-'e'}d noun

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 08:29:21 PST 2022

voragh:
> Note that when they apply to only one
> word and not the entire clause they
> follow that word instead of being in the
> usual slot for adverbials at the head of
> the clause.

True. I was wondering though about what happens in the case of adverbs
which follow object nouns which have been topicalized by the {-'e'}.

And I was wondering because of the following which was said on Discord:

***** Discord excerpt starts *****

SuStel:

Found one.
lujang maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb lurur They reply, shaped as the crescent
moon. (paq'batlh)
Ignore the lujang; that's the verb of speech. maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb
lurur means They resemble the moon which shadow slightly doesn't hide.

ghunchu'wI':

That's a very good example. Topicalizing the object maS and placing it
before the adverbial loQ avoids/resolves the potential ambiguity of whether
or not the adverbial applies to the main verb rur.

***** Discord excerpt ends *****

The comment of ghunchu'wI' messed me up.. So I started wondering what
happens in the case of adverbs which follow object nouns which have been
topicalized by the {-'e'}.

How does the "what applies to what" change in such cases? I started to
wonder, which in turn led to this thread.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/