[tlhIngan Hol] Time elements and *qaStaHvIS*, continuous and perfective aspect

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 04:33:00 PST 2022

The important thing to keep in mind here is:

Perfect is not perfective.

Stop taking the grammar of the original and trying to map it to the grammar in Klingon when it comes to aspect. There is no map; no general rule for mapping tense and aspect in other languages into Klingon aspect.

You have to think about the MEANING of the sentence in terms of Klingon aspect. Consider the moment of the utterance, its time stamp, and whether or not:

1. Is action is still underway? If so, is there a foreseeable goal of this action, at which point the action will cease because the mission is fulfilled? If it is underway, but there isn’t progressing toward a foreseeable goal, use {-taH}. If there is a foreseeable goal (Klingons tend to be mission-oriented as a culture), then use {-lI’}.

Is the action complete? If so, was this action intentional in service of a mission or goal? If no mission, use {-pu’}. If the completion was an accomplishment, use {-ta’}.

charghwI’, retired.