[tlhIngan Hol] Time elements and *qaStaHvIS*, continuous and perfective aspect

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Feb 20 06:53:07 PST 2022

On 2/20/2022 9:07 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> Now, consider {poH nI’}. It’s a duration, but it has no anchor. It’s a
> long time. So? When did it happen? We don’t know. It’s not deictic.
> It’s not a reference to a calendar or a clock. It’s a duration without
> an anchor. It is not a Time Stamp.

This isn't correct. We have seen *wa' jaj* used canonically exactly the
way English /one day/ is used. It is neither deictic nor fixed to an
"anchor." It is exactly as vague as *poH nI'.* But it is used as a time
expression.

You /could/ use *poH nI'* as a time reference, but it would probably
require special context. For instance, if you were talking about several
periods of history, one of which was longer than the others, you might
say something like *poH nI' chenpu' tayqeq'a'*/The great civilization
formed in the long period./ You might not know exactly when the long
period was, but you know it existed, and that's enough for a time
expression.