[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lanDan

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 18 08:45:25 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	lanDan
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	London
Source: 	qep'a' 26  [2019]

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

SEE ALSO:
wo’ tay’ 		United Kingdom
tuqjIjQa'  		United Kingdom

(MO to qe’San, 9/30/2011):  Finally, for UK -- You're right. I had forgotten about {wo' tay'}. I think, though, for the CD, we should stick with {tuqjIjQa'}. If someone should ask why there are two names for the same country, I'd say that (1) it's not impossible for one country to be referred to (especially in a language/culture not of that country) by more than one name (Holland/Netherlands, for example), and (2) {wo' tay'} is an older name -- perhaps the Klingons who gave it that name were thinking of the British Empire.

'Inglan 			England
SIqotlan 		Scotland
we’lIS  			Wales

For "British" use {bIrI'tIS} as in {bIrI'tIS qolambIya} British Columbia.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last