[tlhIngan Hol] clipped klingon formal or informal

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Feb 17 10:52:54 PST 2022

And the list goes on. I’m digging a ditch and everything is going well until I hit a large root. I get excited. This excitation ups my adrenalin so I can deal with the root, which requires a level of physical exertion and focused situational evaluation unnecessary up to this point.

I’m at a party. Somebody punches me in the nose. I get excited. My mind races through my martial arts training as I prepare to fend off further physical assault while evaluating what kind of retaliation might prove most surprising and effective.

It’s a hot summer day and I’m driving down the highway. An animal scurries across the road in front of me and I swerve, not particularly because I’m trying to save the animal as because I’d just as soon not have to clean its entrails off the car later. As I swerve, I notice that, gee, hot pavement. My tires break traction. I’m skidding sideways. I get excited. My mind thumbs through pages of stuff I learned about defensive driving and handling a skid so I can get the car facing in the direction of travel before it leaves the road.

Excitement isn’t so much a quality of emotion as it is an intensity. It can be an extreme state of euphoria, anger, fear, triumph, insanity, jealousy, a psychotic break, a manic phase of manic depression, or a momentary spike in a chronic hatred. Mass murderers get excited before they kill a bunch of people and then themselves. People who want to commit suicide, but can’t bring themselves to do it, attack armed police trying to force the police to kill them so they don’t have to kill themselves, and while doing this they tend to be remarkably excited. Domestic abuse involves a lot of excitement as does candy presented to toddlers or toddlers presented to grandmothers.

It is to your emotions what an afterburner is to a jet engine. It’s not sustainable, but it’s very useful for a situation requiring a sprint-like energy or quality of attention.

I don’t think of excitement as being either exclusively positive or negative. It has more to do with intensity than whatever it is that is causing the intensity. It’s a spike of emotional energy. What kind of emotion? jISaHbe’.

charghwI’, retired.