[tlhIngan Hol] automatically

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Feb 3 09:02:53 PST 2022

somebody asked how to express the idea of things happening
automatically, like machines, doors, ets. Okrand answered this at
#qepHom2021, (qepHom booklet p. 14)

http://klingon.wiki/En/NewWordsQepHom2021

text for reference archived in
http://klingon.wiki/En/Automatic

<<<<<<<
For machines, mechanical devices, automatic doors, etc., make use of -'egh:

poS'eghmoH lojmIt
"the door opens automatically"
(lit. "the door opens itself")

'or'egh muD Duj
"the airplane runs automatically, the airplane is on autopilot"
(lit. "the airplane operates itself")

If you've set something up to happen on its own, like paying bills from
your bank account, the -'egh option doesn't work. You wouldn't say that
bills pay themselves, however desirable that might be. You might say
qav'ap DIlmeH beylI' mabwIj ghunlu'ta' "my bank account has been
programmed to pay the fee" or, less literally, "My bank pays the fee
automatically" or even "I pay the fee automatically."

If to do something automatically means to do it routinely, use roD
"customarily, habitually, regularly."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"