[tlhIngan Hol] to roar in crescendo with verbs

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 17 06:29:17 PST 2022

On 2/17/2022 7:39 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Yesterday I wanted to say "no one really changes while getting older;
> with the passage of time people just display more what they really are".
>
> But when I came to the "with the passage of time people just display
> more what they really are", the problem was that since I was writing
> this on twitter, there was a character limit, so I needed to keep it
> short.
>
> And it was then when the "roar in crescendo" Ca'Non came to mind:
> {beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH}; so I wrote:
>
> qanchoHtaHvIS nuv, choHbe'; not choHbej vay'. 'a qaStaHvIS yInDaj
> DISmey, DI'onmeyna'Daj 'agh 'aghqu' 'aghchu'
>
> Would the {qaStaHvIS yInDaj DISmey, DI'onmeyna'Daj 'agh 'aghqu'
> 'aghchu'} be appropriate for this purpose? I can't see anything
> grammatically wrong with it.

With verbs I would take them as a poetic flourish rather than
grammatically allowed. I wouldn't have any problem with someone stacking
verbs this way in speech, but I wouldn't necessarily call it
grammatical. You could put periods after each verb to make it
grammatical, but it's all supposed to be one idea, so that isn't
satisfactory. You could put semi-colons after each verb to make it
grammatical, which would be better. But I wouldn't bother if my audience
wasn't sensitive to grammar.

I do, however, disagree that *'agh, 'aghqu', 'aghchu'* represents a
linear increase in the same way that *beyHom, bey, bey'a'* does. *'agh*
means /reveal//;**/*'aghqu'* means something like /expose,/ and
*'aghchu'* means /reveal perfectly /(that is, definitely without
anything remaining hidden). I don't see these as simple degrees.

You'd pretty much get the sense of this by saying *qaStaHvIS yInDaj
DISmey, DI'onmeyna' 'aghtaH.* To /continuously reveal/ implies more and
more getting revealed, which is the meaning you're after, and it's
shorter to boot.