[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'umyotlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 1 09:02:53 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	'umyotlh
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	profit
Source: 	qep'a' 28 [2021]

(qep’a’ 2021):  this is strictly in the monetary sense, not general advantage or benefit

If there's a pun I'm not seeing it: {'um} "be qualified" + {yotlh} "field (of land)"?

SEE ALSO:
Suy 		merchant (n)
malja' 		business (n)
  - {malja' Huq}      "transact business"
Huch 		money (n)
HuchQeD 	economics (n)

mech 		trade (v)
tlhong 		bargain, barter (v)
je' 		buy,  purchase (v)
ngev 		sell (v)
DIl 		pay for (v)
Suq 		acquire, obtain, get, gain (v)

APT QUOTATIONS:

     You taught me language; and my
     profit on’t Is, I know how to curse.
     --  (Caliban, in Shakespeare's "The Tempest")

It may not be in the monetary sense strictly speaking, but I'm sure the metaphor would be understood.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last