[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DungluQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 14 07:36:19 PST 2022

Klingon word: DungluQ
Part of speech: noun
Definition: noon
Source: ADD

DaHjaj DungluQ
this noon (lit. "today noon" or "today's noon") [st.k 6/29/1997]

DungluQ tIHIv.  ngugh Qongbe' chaH
Attack them at noon! They won't be sleeping then.
(or: "Attack them at noon. They're not sleeping then.") (st.k 11/1999)

(SuSvaj at qep'a' loSDIch [date?]):  As {Dung} means "area above", I had always assumed that {DungluQ} meant high sun. I asked Okrand if this was in fact the case, and if so could we infer that {luQ} meant sun. He flatly said "No you can't." Apparently it is derived from {Dung}, but he did not have high sun in mind when he coined the word. In fact he said he created {DungluQ} before the Paramount writers came up with high sun, and he was even a little ticked at the writers for inferring high sun.

SEE ALSO:
pemjep 	midday (n)
ramjep 		midnight (n)

jajlo’ chum  	sunrise (i.e. "colorful dawn") (n)
tlhom chum  	sunset (i.e. "colorful dusk") (n)

jul  		sun (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey