[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nab

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 31 07:29:00 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	nab
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	plan, procedure

yaSvaD nab QIj
He/she explains the plan to the officer. (KGT)

nab Hutlh 'ach vang
He/she lacks a plan, but he/she takes action. (ie. He/she improvises). (KGT)

tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
   HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
Save this Stardate:  Sunday, January 4, 1998. (STX)

nablIj yIpab
You may go on as planned (PB 144-145)

'Irghbe'meH ghotpu' nabmey ghojmoH
it teaches procedures so that people don't bully (PCHC)

 (MO to architect Lieven Litaer, 10/24/2011):  "[Maltz] did say, though, that there is a verb {ren} that means design or map out or plan. ... {ren} is not the same as {'ogh} "invent", which implies creating something that hasn't been created before. And it's not the same as {nab} "plan" which is used for planning an event (or a battle strategy or whatever), just as the noun {nab} "plan" cannot be used to refer to blueprints.

(KGT 48):  The noun {tuH} refers to a military  maneuver of any kind. A specific plan or  stratagem usually has a code name ({per yuD} [literally, "dishonest label"]) coined especially for the occasion and not necessarily used again.

(De'vID < MO, 2/25/2018):  Schedule in this sense is the same as plan, so make use of {nab}.

SEE:
nab  		plan,  plot (v)

nImbuS wej maghoS, He yInab
Plot course for Nimbus III.
("We're going to Nimbus III. Plot a course!") (ST5 notes)

He pagh-pagh-vagh-jav-pagh-jav yInab
Plot course 0.0.5.6.0.6. (ST5 notes)

He pagh-pagh-pagh-DoD-cha' yInab
Plot course zero-zero-zero, mark two. (ST5)

SEE ALSO:
jey 		itinerary (n)
jInmol 		project (n)
mIw 		procedure/process (n)
QuS 		conspiracy (n)
'ISjaH 		calendar (n)
pu'jIn 		map (n)

Hech 		intend (v)
QuS 		conspire (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last