[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mov

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 18 11:08:39 PDT 2022

(KGT 58):  On the toe of each high boot (DaS), likewise made of animal hide (DIr), was a clawlike spike called a {pu'}. The word {pu'} now means phaser, and the newer meaning probably developed from the older spike because of the lightning speed with which one delivered a blow with the sharp {pu'}.  In contemporary Klingon, the spike on the toe of a boot is always called a {DaSpu'} (boot spike), never {pu'} alone.

I noticed that too the last last time I saw that episode, but I think this is the first time anyone else has mentioned it here.   I suspect that that vestigial claw is/was also called a {pu’}, though I suppose *{qampu’} is clearer until Maltz tells us otherwise.

--
Voragh
From: Ed Bailey

{mov} reminds me of a Klingon word we really should have. In TNG "Ethics" is a close-up of Worf's bare feet, and he has a lump of flesh about a centimeter tall on top of each foot at the location corresponding to the {DaSpu'} on a Klingon boot.* I feel certain there is a Klingon word for this anatomical feature.

*I can't help but imagine this anatomical feature is the vestige of a claw, and that Klingon bootspikes celebrate (and replace) this former claw and are constructed to avoid unnecessary discomfort. Worf's Starfleet boots lacked spikes, but presumably they fit comfortably.

~mIp'av