[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIv

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 16 07:58:27 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	tIv
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	enjoy

vaj DatIvba'
Then you're obviously enjoying it. CK

Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'
Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals. [sic! for 'e' lutIv tera'nganpu'] CK

may' ngeb tIv Hoch
Everyone enjoys a mock battle. CK

ghob tIvnISbe'lu'
One need not enjoy virtue.
["The Klingon construction {tIvnISbe'} means 'does not need to enjoy';  {tIvbe'nIS} would mean 'needs to not enjoy', an utterly different concept." (TKW 48)]

bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW

yIntaHbogh tlhIngan Soj tlhol jablu'DI' tIvqu'lu'
Klingon food is best when served fresh and live. S21

quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant. STX

ngajmo' jajvam, nom bIlopnIS. qoSlIj yItIv!
(MO > Lieven regarding Daylight Savings Time, 3/29/2015)

wejHu' qoSlIj Dalopta', qar'a'?  vaj DaHjaj qamer. qoslIj yItIvqa'! [sic]
(MO's FaceBook text to Andre, 2/11/2014)

tlhIngan SoH net jalchugh, qagh DatIv
If you were a Klingon, you would enjoy gagh.
(literally, "If one imagines that you are a Klingon, you would enjoy gagh") (Lieven < MO, qepHom, 11/03/2016)

(KGT 71-72):  Though one occasionally hears someone say {QoQ tIv} (He/she enjoys [the] music) or {bom tIv} (He/she enjoys the song), music is not really considered something that causes pleasure. Among Klingons, pleasure is deemed quite unessential for one's well-being. More frequently, the appreciation of music is expressed in terms of something that music does to the listener rather than in terms of the listener's reaction. Thus, music is said to embolden (jaqmoH), excite (SeymoH), encourage (tungHa'), or to stimulate or inspire (pIlmoH). Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance of music has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the verb {DuQ} (literally, stab):  {muDuQ bom} (The song stabs me, or, in a more colloquial Federation Standard form, The song moves me). If the music is judged positively--that is, if the listener likes it--the music is said to be {'ey}, using the word normally translated as delicious when talking about food. Rendering {'ey bom} as "The song is good" is acceptable, but it fails to capture the real feeling of the Klingon.

(Lieven 12/12/2013):  [Maltz] said he has been asked before about Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. He thought they were silly things to say (and, of course, there are no traditional Klingon ways to say these things), but he said that if you have to say Happy New Year, you could say {DIS chu' yItIv} or {DIS chu' DatIvjaj} or {DIS chu' botIvjaj} or the like. For Merry Christmas, he wasn't so sure. He said that perhaps you could use the name of the holiday (which would be {QISmaS}) and say {QISmaS yItIv} or {QISmaS DatIvjaj} and so on. He thought that people who know about Christmas would understand that. He also liked my sister-in-law's suggestion:  {wornagh yItlhutlh!}

PUN:   "fesTIVE" (?)

SEE:
tIv'egh  		enjoy oneself (v)
 - petIv'egh
   Enjoy yourselves. (ST5 notes)
 - qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'. ghoHtaH je. tIv'eghtaH je. st.k (MO to SuStel 11/1996)

SEE ALSO:
parHa' 		like (v)
bel 		be pleased (v)
Quch 		be happy (v)
yon 		be satisfied (v)

QuchHa' 	be unhappy (v)
'IQ 		be sad (v)
'It 		be depressed (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last