[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: buy' ngop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 11 07:44:21 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	buy' ngop
Part of speech: 	excl
Definition: 	good news, it's good to hear that (slang)

buy'qu' ngop
That's really good news. KGT

buy'law' ngop
That seems to be good news. KGT

(KGT 147-48):  This expression is often uttered when one has just been given good news, such as a report of victory in a battle.  Literally, the phrase means "The plates are full", suggesting an abundance of food. If the information is particularly good, one may add the emphatic suffix {-qu'} to the verb:  {buy'qu' ngop} (That's really good news; literally, "The plates are very full").  Similarly, if the information is considered only partially good, or only the forerunner of good news to come, one might use the suffix {-law'} (apparently):  {buy'law' ngop} (That seems to be good news; literally, "The plates are apparently full").  In standard Klingon, one might say {De'vetlh vIQoy, vaj jIQuch" ("I am happy to hear that information").

PUN:
"buying op(portunity)"?  (Qov)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last