[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pIj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 5 07:50:47 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, August 05, 2022

Klingon word: 	pIj
Part of speech: 	adv
Definition: 	often, frequently
Source: 	TKD

pIj maSuvpu' batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
In our many battles, we have fought with honor and achieved victory! (Hallmark commercial)

pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
Don't trust those who frequently smile. (TKW)

janmey ngo' lulo'lu'DI' pIj jabbI'ID nISpu' woj
Older models were susceptible to radiation. (S19)

pIj tay'taH Doch pIm
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations (i.e. = IDIC)
(lit. "different things are often continuously together") (ASM)

GRAMMAR NOTES:
(qep’a’ 2019):  One way to express this [i.e. many times or time and time again] if being emphatic is periphrastically:  {V ‘ej V-qa’ (‘ej V-qa’…)} (where V is the repeated action):
    qagh vISoppu’ ‘ej vISopqa’pu’ ‘ej vISopqa’pu’
    "I’ve eaten gagh many times.”

SEE:
pIjHa'  		seldom,  infrequently (adv) KGT

SEE ALSO:
reH 		always, constantly, forever (adv)
tlhoy 		overly, excessively, too much (adv)

loQ 		slightly, a little bit, briefly, short (adv)
rut 		sometimes, occasionally (adv)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last