[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'an

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 1 07:17:40 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, April 01, 2022

Klingon word: 	'an
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be a waste
Source: 	qep'a' 25 [2018]

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

SEE:
‘an  		be petrified (v) (qepHom 2019)
 (Lieven, 11/18/2019):  {'an} is only used for people if they are literally ‘turned into stone’.

(qepHom 2019):  {’an} also means be a waste. Most Klingon lexicographers consider these to be two homophonic words, but historically, one grew out of the other. The petrified meaning is the earlier ne, and be a waste developed from that, perhaps because once something turns to stone it loses any original use it may have had – though it may take on another use, of course.

‘an’or 		fossil (n) (qepHom 2019)
 (qepHom 2019):  same word for plants, bones, etc.

SEE ALSO:
lo'Ha'  		waste (v)
lo'laHbe' 	be worthless (v)
lI'be' 		be useless (v)

loq 		be extinct (v)
 (qepHom 2019): referring to animals, like dinosaurs

tu'HomI'raH  	something useless (n); e.g. a "dunsel" (SF Academy slang)
potlh 		consequential thing, something important (n)

nagh 		rock, stone (n)
Hom 		bone (n)
roSqa' 		archaeological artifact (n)
SIntlher 	an ancient extinct animal (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last