[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the perfective {-pu'}

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:19:55 PDT 2022

​SuStel:

> for a quality, that's weird. Again, I'm not saying it's possible, but it's weird, and I'm still not aware of any evidence that Klingon does it

​
I don't think it's weird. I've explained how such a word has a useful meaning. I think you too see how it could have a meaning, as you have multiple times described what it would mean, and I agree with your analysis. It seems the only reason you have to argue against this construct is that it is "weird" and doesn't fit to your personal model of how Klingon works.

> I don't think you can answer it just by declaring a yes or a no as Iikka is doing.

​

Please don't put words in my mouth. All I've said is that there is no intrinsic semantic distinction between a quality verb and a non-quality verb. There is a grammatical distinction: quality verbs can be used as "adjective attributes". That is the only canonical distinction there is between these two parts of speech.

All I've said is that 1) using perfective on quality verbs is both meaningful and useful 2) it isn't forbidden and 3) the lack of evidence is not proof of ungrammaticality.

We cannot expect there to be a canonical sentence for every possible combination of words and suffixes, so just that there are not good data points doesn't mean anything. Instead, to support this kind of claim, one should find a sentence that should have a perfective suffix but doesn't, and argue that the lack of suffix is due to an unwritten rule.

One interesting canon sentence to consider is vIneHpu' I wanted them that uses -pu' on neH which is a verb describing a state. While not an "adjective" like rop, it isn't an "action" either. If words like neH and Sov can have the perfective aspect, why wouldn't quality verbs too?

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio