[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qanwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 29 08:19:33 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	qanwI'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	fourth finger, little finger
Source: 	HQ:v10n2p7

Nomen agentis of {qan} "use the pinkie (little finger)".

(HQ 10.2:9):  In addition to {qan} "use the little finger, use the pinkie", there is another verb {qan} meaning "be old (not young)". No doubt because of this resemblance, when one points at someone using the little finger, or when one remarks on this pointing, the pointer is making a comment on the age of the person being pointed to.

qI'empeqDaq jIqan
(I think that) K'mpec is old.
(lit. "I point at K'mpec with my little finger"). (HQ 10.2)

DungDaq qan
point the little finger upwards. (HQ 10.2)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last