[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DI'raq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 15 07:49:53 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	DI'raq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	*dirak*, sheep, type of animal
Source: 	The Little Prince  [TLP]

(Lieven < MO, [2018?]):  There's a fluffy, woolly, shaggy Klingon animal called a {DI'raq}, similar to a sheep. To distinguish, one can say {tera' DI'raq} the first time it comes up, but probably shorten it to just {DI'raq} after that. A male sheep, that is, a ram, is called {DI'raq loD}. It's two words. Kin terms (like {puqloD} and {lorloD}) are set terms, regular vocabulary items. For animals, Klingon doesn't have special words for male vs. female. That is, English has ram (male), ewe (female), sheep (both/either), but Klingon has only an equivalent for sheep – no separate word for ram or ewe. If it's necessary to specify sex/gender, it's done using the noun-noun construction.

HIbelmoH... DI'raq yIDIj.
Please... Draw me a sheep. (Lieven, TLP)

DI'raq motlh 'oHbe'.  DI'raq loD 'oH.
That's not a sheep, that's a ram. (Lieven, TLP)

DerlIqvam yItlhap.  qoDDajDaq DI'raq DaneHbogh Datu'.
Take this chest. You will find the sheep you wanted inside of it. (Lieven, TLP)

QaQqu' jIHvaD DerlIq'e' Danobbogh. qaStaHvIS ram DI'raqvaD qach rurlaH 'oH.
The box you had given to me is very useful. It can be like a home for the sheep during the night. (Lieven, TLP)

'ach Do'Ha' DerlIq SoQ qoDDaq DI'raq vIleghlaHbe'.
But unfortunately I cannot see a sheep inside of a closed chest. (Lieven, TLP)

DI'raqlIj vIghaj. 'ej DI'raqvaD DerlIq vIghaj. 'ej nuj mo'Hom vIghaj...
I've got your sheep. And I've got a chest for your sheep. And I have a mouth cage... (Lieven, TLP)

DI'raq Dacha'meH nagh beQ yIDIj
Paint the stone panel with [a picture of] a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]
("Paint the stone panel with a pigment stick so that you display a sheep!")

DI'raq Dacha'meH yIDIj
Paint [a picture of] a sheep! Draw a sheep. [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]

DI'raq DanarghmoHmeH nagh beQ yIDIj
Paint the stone panel with [a picture of] a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]

DI'raq DanarghmoHmeH yIDIj
Paint [a picture of] a sheep! Draw a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]

narghmeH DI'raq (nagh beQ) yIDIj
Paint (the stone panel with) [a picture of] a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]
("In order for the sheep to escape/appear, paint (the stone panel) with a pigment stick!")

DI'raq yIDIj
Draw (something) on a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]

DI'raq Dacha'meH nav yIDIj
Draw a sheep on the paper!" [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]

DI'raq Dacha'meH nagh beQ yIDIj
Paint the stone panel with [a picture of] a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]
("Paint the stone panel with a pigment stick so that you display a sheep!")

DI'raq DanarghmoHmeH nav yIDIj
Draw a sheep on the paper!" [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]

DI'raq vIwev
[I sketch a sheep] [Lieven < MO, qepHom 2018]

TREK TRIVIA:
“Or perhaps the thought of spending an eternity bending knee and tending sheep appeals to you.” (Kirk, “Who Mourns for Adonais?”)

“And you will supply the herds of sheep, and the pipes we'll play, and the simple skins we'll wear for clothes.” (Kirk to Apollo, “Who Mourns for Adonais?”)

KLINGON:  I cannot understand these people.
KOR:           They know what death is, don't they?
KLINGON:  They do not seem to be worried about anything.
KOR:           Bad enough to be a military governor, but to govern a population of sheep!
	       [TOS "Errand of Mercy"]

"The 'placid sheep' of the Council and their smiles disgust Kor, who prefers the nonsmiling 'Organian' beside him."  [TKW 166 ill.; TOS "Errand of Mercy"]

“You don’t have to be sheep; you can be wolves.” [Kirk to Organian Council; TOS “Errand of Mercy”]

"Have we a ram among the sheep?"  [Kor to Barona/Kirk, TOS “Errand of Mercy”]

“[Gul] Evek manages to make the Cardassians sound like helpless sheep being preyed on by Federation wolves.” (Adm. Nechayev to Picard discussing Maquis raiders, TNG “Preemptive Strike”)

GARAK:  Why is it no one ever believes me, even when I'm telling the truth?
BASHIR:  Have you ever heard the story about the boy who cried wolf?
GARAK:   No.
BASHIR:  It's a children's story about a young shepherd boy who gets lonely
   while tending his flock. So he cries out to the villagers that a wolf is attacking
   the sheep. The people come running, but of course there's no wolf. He claims
   that it's run away, and the villagers praise him for his vigilance.
GARAK:   Clever lad. A charming story.
BASHIR:   I'm not finished. The next day the boy does it again, and the next day,
   too, and on the fourth day a wolf really comes. The boy cries out at the top of
   his lungs, but the villagers ignore him and the boy and his flock are gobbled up.
GARAK:  Well that's a little graphic for children, wouldn't you say?
BASHIR:  But the point is, if you lie all the time, nobody's going to believe you
   even when you're telling the truth.
GARAK:   Are you sure that's the point, Doctor?
BASHIR:  Of course. What else could it be?
GARAK:   That you should never tell the same lie twice.  [DS9 “Improbable Cause”]

PUN:
"in 1947 [experimental physicist] Willis Lamb used precise measurements to establish what became known as the Lamb shift: what ought to have been a single energy level in the hydrogen atom according to [experimental physicist] Paul Dirac's theory actually was two nearby levels with a small difference in energy." (https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/1955/lamb/facts/ )

SEE:
DI'raq be'  		ewe (n)
DI'raq loD  		ram (n)

SEE ALSO:
gha'cher 		goat-like animal (n)
ngavyaw'  		large canine-like creature (n) [use for wolf?]
*Ha'DIbaH QorghwI'  	shepherd (n) GILGAMESH

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what they are going to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”  (Benjamin Franklin)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last