[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIqDob

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 14 07:33:31 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Klingon word: 	nIqDob
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	perforator, hole punch
Source: 	qepHom 2015 p.18

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

Lieven Lietaer interviews Marc Okrand (10/29/2015):

MO: To "staple" papers together is to {rar} them. To use a stapler or
         hole punch ("perforator, hole punch" {nIqDob}), you {qIp} it or
         {'uy} it or {ngaH} ("squeeze") it, depending on the device.  [...]
         The hole punch will {ghID} ("pierce, perforate") the paper (or
         other material).
LL:    Can {ghID} also mean perforate a paper with a tooth pick or similar?
MO: Yes, of course.

(qepHom 2015 p.18):  A stapler is a {Ha'on vevwI'}.  The staple, the little metal thing, is called {baS Ha'on} or just {Ha'on}.  The verb {vev} means insert, put in, so the stapler is literally a device that "puts in" the staple ({Ha'on}) into the paper.”

PUN: 		"bodkin" backwards

SEE ALSO:
DuQ 		stab, pierce (v)
bet 		impale (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last