[tlhIngan Hol] {pong} {ponglu'} {luponglu'} using the verb {pong} for many names

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Apr 11 05:12:16 PDT 2022

Since there is no grammatical way to differentiate between the word {latlh} and someone whose parents decided to name them that, I’d probably presume the more common word than the name for which we have no evidence anyone is called. Sufficient context, or a more explicitly worded expression might make the exception more obvious.

This isn’t really a language issue. I’m sure that in most, if not all languages, you’d have the same issue.

We’ve been through this as a community. One of our former Beginner Grammarians took on the name {pagh}. He expanded our perspective of potential meanings for all sentences describing nobody, or the actions no one committed.

And yet, the language survived.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)