[tlhIngan Hol] Perfective with qualities / perfective and perfect

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:14:48 PDT 2022

SuStel:

> Klingon has no suffix that does this. If I saywa'Hu' DungluQ jISoppu',there is no built-in connotation that I ate before noon yesterday and that the eating is relevant to what happened at noon. All this sentence says is that yesterday at noon, I ate, and it's being described as a completed whole from a viewpoint just after the eating stopped. If I saywa'leS DungluQ jISoppu',I'm saying that eating will happen tomorrow at noon, and it's being described as a completed whole from a viewpoint just after the eating stops.

​

Yes.

However, -pu' can be used to tell that the action has already happened relative to the "current time of narration".

jIvem. ram jISoppu', DaH jISopnISbe'. SIbI' yaHwIj vIghoS.
I wake up. I ate at night, I don't need to eat now. I go directly to my workplace.

I'm telling a story using the no-suffix aspect, but in the middle of the story I describe an event that happened before the current time of narration using the perfective aspect.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio