[tlhIngan Hol] Perfective with qualities / perfective and perfect

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Tue Apr 12 08:45:01 PDT 2022

SuStel:

> ja'chuqghach a telling to each other
> ja'chuqtaHghach an ongoing telling to each other

Ok, but for verbs without suffix we don't have this difference. I mean, the only way to say *the eating* is saying *the ongoing eating* (*SoptaHghach*), right?

> This is simply a limitation of English. In English you are not allowed to say "at noon tomorrow I ate." The only kind of future perfective aspect possible in English is the future perfect tense.
> English perfect tenses have a connotation of "happened before the named time, but is somehow relevant to the named time." If I say I have eaten, what I'm saying is that there was a point in the past where I ate, and that act is somehow relevant to the present. If I say Tomorrow at noon I will have eaten, what I'm saying is that at noon tomorrow eating will be in my past, and the act of eating will somehow be relevant to whatever happens at noon.
> Klingon has no suffix that does this. If I say wa'Hu' DungluQ jISoppu', there is no built-in connotation that I ate before noon yesterday and that the eating is relevant to what happened at noon. All this sentence says is that yesterday at noon, I ate, and it's being described as a completed whole from a viewpoint just after the eating stopped. If I say wa'leS DungluQ jISoppu', I'm saying that eating will happen tomorrow at noon, and it's being described as a completed whole from a viewpoint just after the eating stops.

That clarifies a lot, thank you!

> If you want the "past event relevant to the named time" stuff in Klingon, then you have to say it explicitly. wa'Hu' DungluQ jISoppu', pov vaj pe'vIl jISuvpu' I ate at noon yesterday, so in the afternoon I fought forcefully. I named the time context for each verb to clearly set their temporal order and used vaj to show that the one led to the other.

But then, we should do the same for the future, shouldn't we? If we want the *past event relevant to the named time* stuff, we have to say it explicitly. Just saying *wa'leS DungluQ jISoppu'*, without any further context, wouldn't have the connotation of perfect that the English *Tomorrow at noon I will have eaten* has.