[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the perfective {-pu'}

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:44:38 PDT 2022

> It is? It seems pretty clear to me that {neH} is an action and not a state (in the senses of these words as used in TKD). {vIneHpu'} is even used as an example for {-pu'}, right after it's explained that the suffix indicates that "an action is completed". (A verb expressing a state can be used as an adjective following a noun, whereas {neH} clearly can't.)

I'm not sayin gthat neH is a quality verb. I'm saying I think it's a stative verb. The English want is a so called stative verb.

jIvem, jISay'eghmoH, Soj vIneH, vaj jISop. yaH vIghoS.

Here vem, Say'moH, Sop and ghoS are actions that happen in an order: first I wake up, then I wash myself, then I eat, then I go to the duty station. But I don't think neH is an action. I don't first do a wanting-action and then eat. Wanting food is a state I have before eating, but I probably wanted to eat before washing myself too.

Same goes for quality verbs:

jIvem, jISay'eghmoH, jIghung, vaj jISop. yaH vIghoS.

Being hungry is a state I have before eating, not an action.

I do agree that these verbs aren't actions as such. But if we apply perfective to them, I think we can force them to describe events by compressing the state to a single point in the timeline. For example:

Hogh vorgh jIrop. Last week I was sick.
Hogh vorgh jIroppu'. Last week I had an illness.

I think by adding -pu', I can make it an event. In my opinion, this is useful and meaningful.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio