[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIlwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 4 07:21:23 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, April 04, 2022

Klingon word: 	lIlwI'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	simulator
Source: 	November 2016 email to Lieven

(Lieven, 11/25/2016):  {lIl} is a verb meaning something like "simulate, impersonate". The idea is one of doing something such that the subject of the verb looks or behaves like something (or someone) else or represents something (or someone) else. The word has no connotation of fraud or anything underhanded (in this respect, it’s like {ghet}). The object is the thing being simulated or the person being impersonated. {lIlwI’} (“simulator,” for lack of a better term) is different from {lIw} (“substitute”) since {lIw} implies replacement (the notion of “instead of”) while a {lIlwI’} doesn’t replace anyone or anything.

PUN:
 “did you know there is a big flight simulator in the French city of Lille?” (Lieven, 7/06/2017)

SEE:
ghet 		pretend (v)
  - (De’vID, 11/10/2015):  At… qepHom [2011], Okrand said a bunch of things about what verbs take what objects … One of the words that [Okrand] used to illustrate this was {ghet}.  You can say {vulqangan jIH 'e' vIghet".

PUN: "As we know that Okrand very often uses puns on songs … based on the song "The Great Pretender" by The Platters of 1955." (Lieven, 9/17/2021)

SEE ALSO:
Da 		behave as, act in the manner of (v)
ngeb 		be counterfeit, false, fake (v)
pargh 		be synthetic, artificial (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last