[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the perfective {-pu'}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 04:58:48 PDT 2022

(This is a spin-off from the < {je} "too" applying to the adverb > thread
http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/2022-March/019586.html)

SuStel:
> I think you're still confusing past tense with perfective aspect.

Yes, you're right. And unfortunately, as much as I try to get things right,
in the end I get confused. So I'll write some simple rules about how I
understand (and from now on use) the perfective {-pu'}, and if it's not
much trouble tell me if you agree.

1. If I'm narrating events of the past using "historical present", i.e.
describing them as they happen, then no perfective is used.

Example:

Yesterday, I wake up, drink coffee, and leave for work
wa'Hu' jIvem, qa'vIn vItlhulth, 'ej yaHwIj vIjaHmeH, juH vItlheD

2. If I'm looking back from the present on actions performed and completed,
then I use perfective.

Example:

Yesterday, I ate pizza
wa'Hu' pItSa' vISoppu'

3. If I'm looking back from the present on habitual events/actions of the
past, events which can be described by the "used to", no perfective is used.

Examples:

In the past people honored the gods of greece
In the past people used to honor the gods of greece
(the second sentence describes the intended meaning)

pa'logh 'elaDya' Qunpu' quvmoH nuvpu'

In the past people regularly honored the gods of Greece
pa'logh roD 'elaDya' Qunpu' quvmoH nuvpu'

4. If I'm looking back from the present on completed events/actions of the
past, which weren't habitual, but happened more than once, perfective is
used:

Examples:

In the past, I've eaten ten times pizza
pa'logh wa'maHlogh pItSa' vISoppu'

In the past, I've often eaten pizza
pa'logh pIj pItSa' vISoppu'

5. If I'm looking back from the present on quality verbs, and the quality
described can be described by the "used to", no perfective is used:

In the past you've been weak
In the past you used to be weak
(the second sentence describes the intended meaning)

pa'logh bIpuj

In the past this planet has been regularly cold
pa'logh roD bIr yuQvam

6. If I'm looking back from the present on quality verbs, but the quality
described can't be described by the "used to", perfective is used:

In the past the water has been hot
In the past there was just one (or maybe two/three/more) occasion(s) when
the water was hot
(the second sentence describes the intended meaning)

pa'logh tujpu' bIQ

In the past the water often has been hot
pa'logh pIj tujpu' bIQ

This is the best I can do when it comes to understanding the {-pu'}, and
I'd love to hear whether you agree/disagree with the above.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/