[tlhIngan Hol] Some short questions

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Thu Sep 23 04:09:16 PDT 2021

Thank you for your exhaustive analysis, SuStel!

> I agree that the case for -ghach is a little less explicit, since it was part of the addendum and not included in the ways to create complex nouns, but a verb ending in -ghach is clearly a complex noun in the same way that a verb ending in -wI' is a complex noun.
> However, since -ghach has no glottal stop to draw stress, and since by definition a word with -ghach must have at least two syllables before the -ghach, I agree that the question of how to stress it may become important. I don't know if the Klingonska page says anything specifically about this in the case of -ghach.

I haven't found anything more about *-ghach* on the Klingonska Akademien website, but I knew I had read something about all of this this somewhere, and I've found it in the *Appendix II: Notes on the Scansion of /Khamlet/* of *The Klingon Hamlet*. Maybe the Klingonska Akademien website (and by the way, also the *Hol 'ampaS* site of the KAG) is based on this notes?

> "Two syllables in a row" means two syllables next to each other. TKD does not tell us what to do in the case of two syllables having a glottal stop that aren't in a row. For that, I fall back to the general rule, "if, however, a syllable ending in ' is present, it is usually stressed instead." Since that would lead to two equally stressed syllables, that would mean either the "in a row" is meaningless, that both syllables are stressed but one is stressed more than the other (and we're not told which is which), or that something else entirely happens in this case and we're not told what.

Looking at the general rule *if, however, a syllable ending in ' is present, it is usually stressed instead* I hope I don't do anything that bad if I stress both *Ha'* and *mo'* in *Ha'DIbaHmo'*, regardless what happens with syllables in a row :-)

>>> Yes, repetition is fine in Klingon. You might include a je at the end of those to tie the ideas together.
>> Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you mean with including a *je* (*je* meaning *too*?).
> wa'Hu' chab vISoppu'; DaHjaj naH vISoppu' je. I ate pie yesterday. I also ate vegetables today.

Maybe I understand it wrong in English, but doesn't *I also ate vegetables today* mean, that today I ate a pie *and* vegetables? Actually, I was trying to say: "Yesterday I ate a pie. Today I ate vegetables / fruit", i.e., I didn't eat a pie today, but vegetables / fruit.