[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: joH

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Sep 11 08:11:25 PDT 2021

On Sep 11, 2021, at 9:22 AM, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to the wisdom of the klingon language, you can't say {joH, yIyItchoHQo'}. Oh, no.. That's wrong..

Why do you think that?

> On the other hand, you can't say {joHwI', yIyItchoHQo'} because he isn't your lord either.

That’s not true. In Star Trek III, Saavik addressed Kruge as “my lord”, and she certainly wasn’t a member of his house.

(I think Okrand missed an opportunity to call back to that usage in Into Darkness. Instead of inventing the verb  jIyI' I speak respectfully to fit Zoe Saldana’s lip movements, he might have had her say joHwI' and come close enough.)

— ghunchu'wI'