[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghoqwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 27 07:03:44 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, September 26, 2021

Klingon word: 	ghoqwI'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	spy
Source: 	TKD

nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
One by one Molor's scouts return (PB)

ghoS ghoqwI' tam 'e' yItu'
See the spy creeping (PB)

(HQ 12.3:8):  a delegate to the Klingon Empire could well be described as a {Duy quv} "honored emissary", but if it turned out that he or she was a spy, the phrase {Duy HoQ} "falsely honored emissary" would be appropriate.

Klingon Special Occupation Order No. 4 requires that 200 local hostages be killed every two hours until a spy or saboteur is given up. (TOS "Errand of Mercy")

AYELBORNE: What are you going to do with him, Commander?
KOR:               What is always done with spies and saboteurs. He will be killed,
                        after he has had first-hand experience of our mind scanner.
                         (TOS "Errand of Mercy")

SEE:
jey'naS ghoqwI'  	double-agent (n)

(MO to 'ISqu', 1/02/2012):  For double agent, Maltz liked the slang expression {jey'naS ghoqwI'} (literally, "double-headed ax spy").  He said the non-slang term {'o'wen} could also be used for "double agent," but its meaning is a bit broader -- it's used to refer to someone (or something) of ambiguous status.  As Maltz put it, "You're not quite sure if it's this or that.  You think it's one thing, and it may be, but it may be another."

SEE ALSO:
lInDab 		espionage (n)
Duy 		agent (n)
*SorghwI'  	[saboteur (unattested)] (n)
vub  		hostage (n)

ghoq  		spy (v)
Sorgh  		sabotage (v)
Daq 		eavesdrop (v)
lech 		blackmail (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen