[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghan'Iq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 8 07:22:26 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, September 04, 2021

Klingon word: 	ghan'Iq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	police force
Source: 	qep'a' 25 [2018]

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

   Painstiks were used by Klingon guards to control prisoners in jails, courtrooms and on Rura Pente in 2152. (ENT "Judgment")

  The {yan 'ISletlh} (*Yan-Isleth*), or "Brotherhood of the Sword", is an elite Klingon division charged with protecting the chancellor whom they guard at all times. (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising")  It's his personal security force or praetorian guard (so to speak).

SEE:
ghan’Iq yaS  	police officer (n) (qep'a' 2018)

ghan  		glance at, take a quick look at (v)
ghan  		be hectic, very active, lively (v) (qepHom 2016)
ghanHa’  	be peaceful, calm (v) (qepHom 2016)

SEE ALSO:
qop  		arrest (v)
bIghHa'  	prison,  jail
qama' 		prisoner (n)
jav 		prisoner [slang] (n)
'avwI' 		guard (n)
ghew 		border patrol [23rd century slang?] (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen