[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghet

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 17 07:15:43 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, September 17, 2021

Klingon word: 	ghet
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	pretend (without deceiving)
Source: 	HQ (12:3 p8)

(HQ 12.3:8):  {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner" … is used in cases where one misrepresents oneself in order to be accorded honor one is not entitled to, and in that way it is different from {toj} "deceive" and {ghet" "pretend", neither of which has this kind of connection to honor ...  {ghet} and {ghetwI'} pretender generally do not imply deception, but simply role-playing.

(De’vID, 11/10/2015):  At… qepHom, Okrand said a bunch of things about what verbs take what objects … One of the words that [Okrand] used to illustrate this was {ghet}.  You can say {vulqangan jIH 'e' vIghet}.

PUN: "as in 'get a life'?" (naHQun)

ghetwI'  	pretender,  actor (n)
  - ghetwI' luwIvlu'ta'.
    The actors have been chosen. (DSC Announcement, 12/2016)

SEE ALSO:
lIl 		simulate, impersonate (v)
Da 		behave as, act in the manner of (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen