[tlhIngan Hol] {-'egh} and {-chuq} with {-lu'}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Sep 16 07:32:13 PDT 2021

Thanks for this clarification. Not being a linguist, I was unclear about the difference between the Subject (I’m guessing that’s a syntactic term) and the Agent (I’m guessing that has more to do with semantics), since they are usually one and the same… except in the passive voice.

I see a parallel between this exceptional use of Patient as Subject in the English passive voice and the change in meaning of the Klingon prefix (like {vI-}, where it is clearer) with the suffix {-lu’}. In English, the Patient is placed in the sentence in the location that the Subject belongs and the Agent is optional with the helper word “by” and the location of the Object, but in Klingon, the optionally explicit Patient is left grammatically in the Object position or is indicated by the subject implied in the verb prefix, and the Object (the agent) is always syntactically indicated as third person singular, and that Agent is never stated because it is, by definition, Indefinite.

It’s refreshing after all these years to have another layer of the onion peeled away.

Thank you.