[tlhIngan Hol] {-'egh} and {-chuq} with {-lu'}

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 06:25:12 PDT 2021

One cannot use {-'egh} with a verb that is intransitive, except when adding
another suffix like {-moH}. Especially stative verbs don't work alone with
{'-egh}. You can perform an action unto yourself, or many people can
perform an action unto each other. So it does break a direct rule, and
doesn't make sense semantically. It's like *{Qong'egh} or *{Qongchuq}.

Quchlu' = someone is happy
*Quch'egh = she is happy *oneself; they are happy *themselves
*Quch'eghlu' = someone is happy *oneself
*Quchchuq = they are happy *each other
*Quchchuqlu' = some people are happy *each other

The asterisk marks the ungrammaticality here.

But with {-moH} it works just fine. For brevity I just pick one translation
per line (using she/her), but of course a zero prefix can mean many things:

QuchmoH = she makes her happy
QuchmoHlu' = someone makes her happy
Quch'eghmoH = she makes herself happy
QuchchuqmoH = they make themselves happy
Quch'eghmoHlu' = someone makes themself/themselves happy
QuchchuqmoHlu' = some people make each other happy

Now with a fully transitive verb such as {legh} everything would work:

legh = she sees (her)
leghlu' = someone sees her
legh'egh = she sees herself
leghchuq = they see themselves
legh'eghlu' = someone sees themself
leghchuqlu' = some people see themselves
(etc.)

— André