[tlhIngan Hol] the problem with {naw'wat}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:40:10 PDT 2021

nIqolay Q:
> What remote, desolate, big places do you have in mind?
SuStel:
> Because the word refers to a place, not an area. It refers to a place isolated in a desolate area,
> which makes the place relatively small. If the place were large, it wouldn't be isolated in its desolation.

I'm confused by this distinction between "place" and "area"; so I'll
write an example.

You set out to visit the rocky mountains, but your gps malfunctions.
You end up driving hours in the wilderness, and after having driven on
some godforsaken dirt road, you exit your car, not having seen a
single sign of civilization for the past 300 miles. All you see, is
uncultivated, untouched by human hand, wilderness, as far as the eye
can see.

Don't you call that in english "remote, desolate place"?

~ Dana'an
don't let the bastards grind you down