[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HolQeD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 9 07:31:11 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, August 22, 2021

Klingon word: 	HolQeD
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	linguistics

(Okrand, HQ 2.2:12):  I'm glad you chose the name {HolQeD} for your journal. When Maltz began telling me about his language, he used this word from time to time to refer to what I was doing. For reasons now forgotten, the word was left out of TKD.

(Lawrence, [DATE?]):  Actually, this IS canonical. It is a backfit that Marc Okrand was kind enough to provide (I think in an interview), casually acknowledging that of course this compound meant 'language science, or linguistics.' And, presumably it does open the door to geology and mathematics and many more.

(Lawrence, 2/2004):  … indeed the word {HolQeD} is an example of a made-up word (later canonized by Okrand and creating a precedent for naming other sciences)

SEE:
HolQeD 	the KLI peer-reviewed quarterly journal

Cf. https://www.kli.org/resources/holqed/  with an online index.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen