[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' 2021 new word puns

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 01:39:52 PDT 2021

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 02:39, James Landau <savegraduation at yahoo.com> wrote:

> naptop (eclipse) -- backwards, this makes "pot" and "pan" -- I'm not sure
> what the relevance is here, though

I didn't see this mentioned in this thread, but it's a tradition to bang
pots and pans during an eclipse in some cultures.

rubyo' (politician) -- from Marco Rubio

I'm a bit surprised at how obvious and specific this one is. So maybe the
apparent similarity is a red herring. While I've heard MO express views on
potentially sensitive subjects like politics and religion in person, I
don't think I've previously encountered anything in the vocabulary which
has even hinted at his views on these subjects.

wu'tIbIS (superstition) -- to exhibit woo?

The TV channel TBS was known as the "Superstation".

> yoghan (renaissance, revival) -- maybe because the Gothic revival
> catehdral known as the Nunoike Church, or Cathedral of St. Peter and St.
> Paul, is in Nagoya?

I don't want to spoil this one, but I'll give a hint: it's a (yet another)
Beatles reference.

--
De'vID