[tlhIngan Hol] {vaj} connecting {-meH} clauses

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 27 06:01:10 PDT 2021

On 10/27/2021 8:05 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Suppose we want to say:
>
> "In order that something doesn't move the glass, so that the coffee
> inside won't spill, a special base can be used".
>
> One option is to write:
>
> HIvje' vIHmoHbe'lu'meH, 'ej qa'vIn Qoy'moHbe'lu'meH, ngaDmoHwI' le'
> lo'lu'.
>
> But I wonder.. Couldn't we use {vaj} instead of {'ej}?
>
> HIvje' vIHmoHbe'lu'meH, vaj qa'vIn Qoy'moHbe'lu'meH, ngaDmoHwI' le'
> lo'lu'.
>
> In the first option the exact meaning is "... and in order that the
> coffee doesn't spill", while on the second option the meaning is "...
> so that the coffee doesn't spill".
>
> Granted, not much of a difference either way, but I wonder if there
> could be any argument against "joining" {-meH} clauses with {vaj}.

Only the argument that *vaj* is not a conjunction. The second phrase you
wrote isn't /so that the coffee doesn't spill;/ it's /so that in order
that the coffee doesn't spill./ It's a bit convoluted.

I think this comes from your liberal splicing of parenthetical phrases
in the middle of sentences. If understood as a parenthetical phrase, it
makes sense, though TKD doesn't offer any rules for parenthetical
phrases and canonical examples of them are hard to come by.

I might split this into two sentences.

*HIvje' vIHmoHbe'lu'meH, ngaDmoHwI' le' lo'lu'. Qoy' qa'vIn 'e' bot.
*/In order for the glass not to move, a special stabilizer is used. It
prevents the coffee from spilling./