[tlhIngan Hol] upcoming book: Baby's First Klingon Words

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 22 07:27:13 PDT 2021

I don’t believe there is one.  I think the closest we’ve seen to an actual type of binding is {gho paq} “[ring] binder, notebook” (qepHom 2015) which is clearly different.  There is also this discussion Lieven had with Okrand  at qepHom 2015:

(Lieven, 11/05/2015):  I asked Okrand about this [i.e. envelope], and he first said "Why can't a thing have two words?"  He later went into detail, saying that a {vaH} [i.e. “holster, sheath“] can be used for any kind of cover you use to put things in, for instance also a CD sleeve.  The {vaH} is usually a finished piece of material.  The word {qatwI'} is a more literal translation of the meaning "envelope".  Sometimes you can look at an envelope and see how it's made: it's a piece of paper wrapping around something.  Next Okrand said that if there were a Klingon-Klingon dictionary, {nav qatwI'} would be a good description for a {nav vaH}.
{nav qatwI’} also works for a paperback cover or dust jacket.  This suggests *{'echlet  qatwI’} for a (card)board cover,  *{(qo’rIn) DIr qatwI’} for a leather cover, etc.

In addition to {qat} “wrap, encase”, {Qan} “protect” is another option.  We know of:
    DIr QanwI' taS              suntan lotion (TNK)
    mIn QanwI'                    eyeglasses (TNK)
    tal QanwI'                      cannon guard [i.e. armor-plated] (KBoP)

{QanwI’} feels more substantial than a {qatwI’}, rather like a slipcase or shell box (both of which I deal with on a regular basis as a rare book cataloger at the University of Chicago Library).

--
Voragh
From: tlhIngan-Hol On Behalf Of De'vID