[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nompuq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 18 07:20:15 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, October 18, 2021

Klingon word: 	nompuq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	authority, evidence, attestation, reference, citation
Source: 	KLI Mailing list

Word forwarded to the List by De'vID from Okrand.

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018):  Neither {Hal} nor {mung} would be "source" in the literary sense (which I take to mean where a particular entry in {boQwI’} [ie. De'vID's computer program] comes from). This would be {nompuq} "authority, evidence, attestation, reference, citation".

SEE:
bo’DIj nompuq 	forensic evidence (n) (qep'a' 2018)

SEE ALSO:
bo'DIj  		court [of law] (n)
meqba'		*mek'ba* (type of legal proceeding) (n)
  - That portion of a Klingon trial or appeal in which evidence is heard during which all evidence must be heard in open council (cf. TNG "Sins of the Father")

ghantoH 	model, example, pattern (n)
jIyweS 		translation, gloss, definition (n)
  -  (De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018): For purposes of {boQwI’}, definition would be {jIyweS} "translation, gloss". It’s not a definition like in an English-only (or any-language-only) dictionary (that explains/describes a word’s meaning); it’s a quick tag to give you an idea of what the word means. For "entry", Maltz suggests {ghu’lIS} "item in a list" .

ghu'lIS 		entry/item in a list (n)
natlIS 		last item in a list (n)
tetlh 		list (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen