[tlhIngan Hol] The Little Prince in Klingon

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Oct 28 06:28:04 PDT 2021

I know this is too late to be edited in, but in the “view inside” as I considered buying the book, I couldn’t help but notice in my slow, rusty reading of the Klingon:

ghIq ghargh’a’ qoD vIwev, nenwI’vaD vIQIjchu’meH.

I’m pretty sure that, unlike other Type 9 dependent clauses, {-meH} clauses do not have the option of following the main clause that they modify.

Earlier in my own learning of the language, I made the opposite error of thinking that all Type 9 dependent clauses needed to be at the front of the sentence, fitting my inaccurate model that Klingon sentences set up everything (location, time stamp, dependent clauses, etc.) before delivering the main verb as a kind of punch line. While this is mostly true, it’s not a pure rule.

But, since {-meH} clauses can modify either nouns or verbs, it is apparently special and always precedes what it modifies, whatever it modifies.

I just bought the book, anyway...

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)